Monday, March 22, 2010

Sand Hills Recap

Yay for a successful weekend! Legs and I got 8th place in a race-off with our friend, Debbie Bader and her horse Oreo. Here's the general recap:

We drove down to South Carolina on Friday, 3/19, starting early in the morning. I got packed up and loaded in about an hour, Legs did okay with the loading part. I didn't take him off the trailer for fear I wouldn't be able to get him back on by myself, but I did stop a few times to offer him water and more hay. He seemed nervous at first but halfway through North Carolina, he really started going to town on his hay so I think he is starting to relax and get used to it. When we arrived at the ride, many people were already there and I had a very tough time finding his corral. It took an hour to finally get the campsite management to help me, only to find that his corral was all the way back in where the RV hookups were across camp. Being that I have a very primitive rig with no electric needs, and that many of the spots were already fu
ll, there was no way I could park there. So I got him settled in his pen with plenty of food and water, and went to find a spot near the vet check so I could crew from there. The good part was that his pen was in the shade, at least, so he got some relief from the heat.

After getting Legs and Jack settled, it was time to unload and set u
p camp. My truck tent, apparently, is a beast. It took me the better part of an hour to get it set up, and was absolutely exhausting. Many thanks to the people parked next to me for helping me get parked and letting me borrow the extra hands/strength! We got it figured out, though, and I will know for next time exactly how to set it up so it goes faster.

After setting up my tent, it was time to vet in. Normally, I go for a little warm up ride to loosen him up first. But because of the fiasco with the corral and tent I simply didn't have time. He vetted in with all A's (an A- in Skin Tenting, which is normal because he had a long trailer ride and was a little dehydrated) and a heart rate of 40. So w
e were good to go for the next day!

I met up with Carolyn Vavala, Becky Supinger, and Mary Howell to hang out with for the rest of the day, and together with Jack we went to ride meeting. After getting our debriefing I borrowed Carolyn's clippers to clip Le
gs; he has a nice woolly coat and I knew it was going to be hot hot hot tomorrow afternoon. He did great with the clippers, especially since it was dark. I did his neck and chest and a little on his hidquarters and belly. Then it was off to bed. Lesson learned for next time: get a better air mattress. I had brought plenty of blankets so I was warm, but my air mattress really sucked and I kept waking up to find it deflated and me sleeping on the hard truck bed. Jack didn't like it either. No good.

Race time the next morning was 7AM, so I got up a
t 5AM. Fed Jack and brought Legs his breakfast (complete with electrolytes), then went to go get some coffee at the ride management office. Unfortunately it wasn't ready yet, so we dropped by Carolyn's rig again to be rescued! Carolyn has a beautiful luxurious trailer and is an incredibly gracious host, she really saved my butt several times this weekend. I then went to grab a granola bar, get Jack set up for the day, finish packing my saddle, and tacked up my horse. He was definitely ready, he was excited to get going. I had someone help me hold him while I mounted up, and then we warmed up by walking around and meeting Carolyn and Becky and their horses on the other side of camp. Then it was time to be off!

The first loop was just over 15 miles and we went a little faster than I originally planned, though we did start in the very back. Legs was fired up and ready, he fought me hard. I think we may try a different bit or a running martingale so he doesn't keep flipping his head up at me. I was worried, but he didn't breathe hard the whole way. We finished the loop, walked right into the vet check with minimal sponging, and go
t great vet scores. Mary helped me crew all day, she did a great job! Especially since she was also helping our friend Joanie, who had 4 horses out on the LD. Thanks again Mary!

The second loop (14 miles) I went out with a group of 4-5 people (I was a few minutes ahead of Becky and Carolyn since I vetted in faster). I stayed with them through the entire loop and we passed some more people on the way. Again, Legs was going much faster than I intended but he was still pulling and fighting on me, he wasn't breathing hard, and all of his vet scores were great again. Mary trotted him for me so I could see how great he looked, he was sound as a bell! Did I also mention he was barefoot? :-p My little guy has granite feet....He was a little muscle-sore at the end of this loop (he's not used to sand or hills), so we gave him some myoguard and rubbed him out a little. He also didn't eat as much as I would've liked.

The third loop was the hottest and longest of the day. Having vetted in quickly again, I started with my friend Debbie and another rider, we were 16th-18th. Debbie really wanted to make top 10 but wasn't feeling great (her ankle hurt), but our horses were both doing great, so I told her I'd give it my best shot and get her up there. Legs led for the first 10 miles. He drank like a champ at every water stop and ate whatever was available, so I k
new we were okay. He really knows the game, chug the water, take a bite and eat on the go! We passed 4-5 people right at the start of the loop, then I set off on a much more reasonable pace (10-12mph). This is what I meant to do today! Halfway through the 20-mile loop, we elecrolyted and shortly after met up with a guy who had gotten lost. This fired Legs up again, and it was off to the races for another fast pace. We passed 4-5 more people, and it was then I knew we were on the back end of top 10 but would probably have to race for it. I knew the last water stop was about a mile from the finish line, so when we got there I whispered to Debbie that as soon as the horses were done drinking we were going to take off fast. She was hurting, but I convinced her to stick to me and go for it!

We got in the lea
d right after the water, and as soon as I saw the finish it was off at a gallop, Debbie right behind me cheering us on. As we neared the finish line, I felt Legs getting nervous and realized he was going to spook. I kept pushing him and while he did a little jump to the side (see video), he remembered himself and pulled it off at the last second, beating out our little pack. Debbie came in right behind me at 9th. Mary was there with water to help us cool them off (see photo), and I jumped off and walked him the rest of the way back to camp. He was down with a light sponging by the time we got back, and we vetted in. The vet gave him all A's, his CRI was 52/52, and we were encouraged to stand for BC. I didn't think we'd get it, we were 45min behind the leaders, but I thought, why not?

The BC vet was tough. She said Legs moved the best out of all the horses she'd seen so far (Mary trotted him for me, I didn't eat enough and wasn't feeling well). But she gave him low marks on some other areas where the other vets marked him high. But every judge is different, and in any case it's always good to have the vets get one last look at your horse. We ended up placing 6th in the BC judging (right behind Debbie, Ore
o's heart rates are CRAZY low!), and won some big engraved plates with the race logo on them.

That night I made sure to feed Legs lots and lots and give him plenty of water. I gave him a nice walk before bed and he seemed to be recovering nicely, a little stiff but who wouldn't be after 50 miles? He still wasn't eating as much as I liked, but he was munching here and there and seemed alert and very happy with himself, so I didn't worry. Jack and I slept in Carolyn's rig (THANKS AGAIN CAROLYN!) to ensure that I got good rest to drive home. Though he kept checking on everyone and patrolling the place, it was a nice restful evening after a long day.

Sunday was basically just the trip home. Chatted with Carolyn over coffee, packed up, loaded Legs (he jumped right on, NO LUNGE WHIP!), stopped and turned Legs around because he untied himself (doh!), then headed out. I stopped twice, getting gas once and offering Legs and Jack water and refilling hay again both times. He was finally hungry, attacking his hay like a MANIAC but also making a total mess. We made it home without incident, other than getting confused and missing the 295 exit, having to drive through Richmond (YIKES!). Legs was very happy to see his friends, and took off trotting to his favorite roll spot, rolled both sides, and then galloped full-speed to the far side of the pasture to play. I also made sure to watch until he got a drink, since he had a long ride.

So, while we went much faster than planned, it was an overall very successful weekend! Enjoy the video of our race-off and Legs' spook, courtesy of Debbie's husband. :-) Also, most of the pictures are all courtesy of Debbie and her husband, too. It's hard to get photos done when you don't have extra pairs of hands....


PS Follow up for the day...Joy reports that Legs looks AWESOME today and even took a nice long nap in his stall with fresh soft bedding. awwww so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment