Friday, April 9, 2010

More Debbie Questions

Two more questions for you.....you are so kind to help me out..............
At Foxcatcher, at the 10 minute hold, should I have Curt meet me there with some beet pulp for Oreo or should I just let Oreo rest and graze on the grass? 10 minutes isn't much time.
After Foxcatcher, I need to start training smarter. If my goal is one good conditioning ride a week, what mileage should I try to attain and how should I structure the ride? Meaning should I do equal parts loping and trotting or more of one than the other, or just go out and have fun? Mostly I've always gone out and just had fun. I do want to keep this sport fun, but I'm now starting to worry more about Oreo's condition now that we have lot's of 50 mile rides I'd like to attend this year.
Thanks Sarah,
Debbie

_________________________________

Hey Debbie, no problem.

I haven't looked at the ride map/loops yet. If Kurt can make it easily, I would definitely have him bring a few snacks for Oreo. Let Oreo decide what he wants, but having lots of options there will ensure that he has something to pick from. Another good option is to carry some small bags of treats in your saddle (grain, carrots, etc), then Kurt doesn't have to come out. Also will be important to have water if the ride isn't providing it there, and to electrolyte right before you go back out if that is on a long loop (I'm assuming it is).

Your mileage for your good conditioning ride will depend on both how fast you go and what the terrain is like. I try to do around 15 miles, but down here it's very flat and not very technical and the ground is soft. Our longest training ride is Beaverdam, which is about 18 miles and we have to go slow because it's windy and narrow trail, pretty technical. Since I'm usually by myself, I usually go pretty slow at a moderate trot and barely any canter for most of the time, so a longer distance fits us fine. It's also good because it helps maintain his fitness level without putting too much stress on his body (the whole Long Slow Distance technique). But if you're on hills, rocks, or at a higher speed, you don't need to do as much mileage (keep it 10-15 at most). I think the go-out-and-have-fun technique is probably best, just make sure to keep your speed (whatever it may be) consistent. Nothing drives me more bonkers than riders who gallop for five minutes and then walk for 20. It's usually good to let the horse set the pace, I let Legs do that all the time and just go with how he feels (unless he's over-excited. then i have to rein him in!). A good idea is to find an average speed for your horse, where they're not working too hard but aren't being lazy either, then keep the pace within 2mph of that speed. Legs' relaxed moderate trot speed for training is 8-9mph, so when we go out I try to keep it between 6-10mph.

If you have any friends who are long-distance runners, I would take them to dinner and pick their brain. The training is really, really similar as it would be for our horses! Or, ask your husband about how he trains his distance swimmers. Not quite as close as running but you can get a general idea there.

Also, don't forget that Oreo is already really fit and that the 50's will keep him that way, so you don't need to worry too much about getting him conditioned. It's more of a maintenance factor now, you don't want to over-condition him (yes, it really is possible to do so). So, don't stress if you can only get on him once a week. He's not going to lose that conditioning he already has, it takes months and months of just sitting in pasture for that to happen. The week leading up to the ride, I would only take him out once, and only for a light walk-trot ride that is less than 5 miles. That way, he has a "taper" and is well-rested.

Hope that helps!

~Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment