Monday, April 5, 2010

Questions on Gate and Hold

Some more Q&A from my friend, Debbie....
______________________________________


Sarah, I'm not really sure I understand how this gate in hold works? Is that what we did at Sand Hills? Does it mean that your hold time starts when the pulse taker says your horse meets the pulse criteria?
Example, you pass the in timer and she takes your card and gives you a time in. Then you mess around for 15 minutes before you go to vet check to get your pulse. So 15 minutes later you get your pulse. Does your 50 minute hold start at that point and you've actually wasted 15 minutes messing around?
So far, I always go straight to the pulse taker as soon as I come in. It's been cool weather for my three rides, so I have been fortunate that Oreo has been able to pulse down by the time we walk over. I know that won't always be the case so I want to make sure I understand when my hold time starts. You know, in case I have to cool him off first before going to the pulse taker.
Thanks,
Debbie
_______________________________________

Correct. your 50 minutes doesn't start until your horse meets pulse criteria. so, here it is step-by-step:

1. give card to timer
2. get horse down, get p&r people to get pulse in. NOW your hold time starts. if you look at past vet cards, you should see this.

So, now you know why you see us all trying to panic and get our horse down as quick as possible! :-)

Tricks to this: races are definitely won by people who get through the pulse down. That's how Jeremy won Tevis twice, and I have passed lots of people too. Walk into vet checks, and get your horse in quick. You're out time might end up being a few minutes faster than the people close to you (especially with Oreo's heart rates) and you could end up having a few minutes lead time on the next loop.

The other reason they do this is so the vets can see how fast the horse recovers. If they take too long, they pull you. I believe you have 30min to get the horse down, or they pull you (it could be an hour, Mary would know
better than me). This applies in FEI too.

No comments:

Post a Comment